December 30, 2004

Haere Ra, 2004

I put together this list over the last week or two. For some reason I'm shy about putting it right here so I've buried it in the archives... in October, to be precise. Do take a look if you're curious about the world of me.

So it's the end of the year. I'm not in the right mood to reflect on it much, but I will make a wee "top of the top" list:

Top album: SJD Southern Lights
Top gig: Cassette, the Phoenix Foundation and Phelps & Munro @ Indigo for A Low Hum
Top movie: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or Napoleon Dynamite
Top book: Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami or Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

That's enough reflection for now. I've discussed all of the above on prior occasions apart from the Nabokov which I just finished this week. The experience of being inside Humbert Humbert's head is finally beginning to fade... The way Nabokov draws the reader into Humbert's psyche and somehow rationalises his modus operandi reminded me of Dostoevsky's Raskolnikov. Haunting.

Life's been pretty quiet lately, here in the midst of the post-Christmas lull. The most remarkable thing that's happened lately is yesterday I had a 12ga needle plunged through my right nipple. I was supposed to go away for NYE, just for a quiet relaxing night someplace that's not here, but various circumstances have required my presence in Wellington. So here I am. Bring it on.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger The Saturnyne said...

Goddam! My New Year Celebs are looking so shite at the moment. All my partying friends are outta town. And all my other friends are the kinds of people who have forgotten how to party. They all wanna stay in with their nice nice cardigans, and play fucking charade type games! Fuck them all!

So i have a choice. Go out on my own and look like a total friendless loser (No thanks, i did that in my teens), get a cardigan quickly, or go and visit one of my very best friends and her boyfriend and help them decorate their new house. At least they have some awesomely cute cats (9)... Tchah! Any of you lot wanna catch a plane over here and celebrate a jetlagged New Year twice? I'll buy ALL the drinks!

S.x

And Jessie, you did WHAT to your nipple? Eeek!

3:26 am  
Blogger Barry said...

All the best for 2005, Jessie: just by reading what you write, I can understand why Joanna might have said you were her best find for 2004. Sorry its coming to a quiet end - mine too, as it happens. I was supposed to be up on the East coast somewhere, probably getting over the gig in Whakatane last night. Instead, I'm in Motueka, heading out past Collingwood to commune with nature for my last night of the year.

4:17 am  
Blogger b said...

i've been reading the wind up bird chronicle by haruki murakami- loving it!
jessie- very best wishes to you for the new year!
hey ya'll, don't feel bad if your new year didn't exactly start with a bang. barely able to stay awake (cold + old age = early bedtime), i turned on the tv to watch the ball drop (lame as usual). C was asleep on the couch. no new year's kiss for me, and i wasn't drunk enough to either not give a damn or shed a single tear about it. while the rednecks were shooting off thier guns outside (literally), i headed straight for bed. whatta night!
Sat- i did the whole 'plane to england for new year's weekend' back in 2001. while i had a nice time, jetlag stole my memories and the aftermath was a disaster. maybe i'll do it again sometime?
wow, this post seems really depressing, but i actually have big plans and high hopes for 2005. it's going to be great!
happy new year, everyone!

1:12 pm  

Post a Comment