January 05, 2005

Hayden @ Bodega

It rained solidly all afternoon, with only a short lull which I used to dash to the dairy for supplies (chocolate caramels and pineapple lumps). I watched the last couple of episodes of Angel Season One (talk about leaving me wanting more) followed by Punch Drunk Love which I think I’d already seen and a cool Brazilian film called Central Station. Gig o’clock rolled around and it was lucky for me that my flatmates were heading out and were able to give me a ride to the bar – I was not looking forward to a rain-soaked trudge.

I arrived around half ten, but I’d missed opening act John White. Hayden began shortly after. He’s from Canada, and has been releasing music since the mid-90s. He was nice and friendly, and he played cool alt country-esque songs on acoustic guitar with occasional harmonica. He gave some background to his songs, like one about him being murdered while he was recording, one about being on tour and leaving loved ones behind at home, and one where he went to listen to some newly recorded music in his car stereo and there were some police outside the house. At one point he offered the crowd of 50 or so the choice between a song by Simon & Garfunkel, Tom Petty, Otis Redding or Grandaddy. The decision was made by cheering – Grandaddy won. Yay! He sang a lovely version of ‘I’m On Standby’. (Later in the encore he sang some S&G). I think the best part was when he made trumpet sounds to accompany the acoustic on 'My Wife'. A pleasant evening.

I'm feeling pretty smug because after the show I went to the video store and got all of Angel Season Two out... hooray!!

3 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

I've never watched Angel, but if you promise to send me a white chocolate Cookie Time chocolate chip cookie, I promise to go rent every series so far...

1:09 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Hey I'm not looking to recruit... just gloating that I have 18 episodes remaining! (Yes I watched four already). Cookie Times just aren't what they used to be. But if you're that keen, I'm sure we can come to some arrangement :)

Jimmy, we'll do tea soon!
Jo, I'm glad you're feeling secure.

1:58 am  
Blogger The Saturnyne said...

Chocolate Caramels. An Explanation: Small cute creatures, made of chocolate skin and caramel innards, bred in captivity until, at the age of six months, they are brutally, yet humanely clubbed to death for several minutes. THis has the effect of reducing their cuteness to a squishy malleable pulp, ripe for placing in one's mouth to gorge on. Yum!

It's all true! I read it in the book i just wrote!

S.

4:08 pm  

Post a Comment