October 25, 2006

It's bigger than both of us

I've done it - I've added Panic! At The Disco's 'I Write Sins Not Tragedies' to my myspace profile. I figured it was high time to publicly acknowledge the most persistent earworm EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD.

I can pinpoint the moment it seeped into my consciousness, about six weeks ago. Undoubtedly I'd heard it prior to that moment, but something about a day off work, waking up in the middle of nowhere and hearing that catchy as the most catchy thing ever chorus playing out of a tinny transistor radio - and discussing what it all means - indelible.

Excuse me while I play it one more time. "Poise - and - ra-tional-iteeeehhhhh." It's a tough act for the new single 'But It's Better If You Do' to follow, although it has reached #16 this week. And speaking of other Panic! songs, they do have good titles - there's one called 'I Constantly Thank God For Esteban'. I like.

Aand I nearly forgot what prompted me to write this post - I've just read that the song title for '..Tragedies' was inspired by a line from Douglas Coupland's 'Shampoo Planet'. I first read that book in Copenhagen, and aside from being a cool story, it resonated because the main character made friends with a New Zealander whom he met at Bob's Youth Hostel in Amsterdam, the same hostel where I'd recently spent a few days. Better and better.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

Maybe the best part about this song is how much it makes me laugh..

2:08 am  

Post a Comment