March 25, 2007

Earthrace update

Pete blogs about his frustration at not being allowed to give his side of the story, but he's been blogging it fairly comprehensively all week. What's the difference?

Either way, this latest development is some welcome good news: Earthrace's insurers are to pay for a new fishing boat for the family of the drowned man, and also the medical bills for the injured man still in hospital.

Pete's comments in this NZ Herald story - "As captain of the boat, I am responsible ... If anyone is forced to spend time behind bars, it will be me.." - bring to mind the words of Prince Kutúzov in War and Peace. ""Well, gentlemen, I see that it is I who shall have to pay for the broken crockery."

I have a couple of Belgian travellers staying at the moment. They have a laptop, same as many of the travellers that have passed through lately. It makes me wonder how I'll cope on the road without any connectivity. It's important that I do it, I think, and I guess I'll get used to it. Life will go on if I don't check flickr, bloglines, myspace and email fifteen times an hour.

Inorganic collection here this week. We have two mountains of junk outside our gate, and there has been a steady stream of people picking through it. I hope they take stuff away - a lot of it is good and functional, just not anything that we want cluttering up our abundant cupboards any longer!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Joanna said...

Yum! Are those cookies from my recipe?

3:08 am  
Blogger Barry said...

I'm incredibly impressed that out of all that mass of words that make up War & Peace, you can remember a particular phrase!

1:06 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Jo, yes they are, although on closer inspection your recipe is identical to mine :)

Barry - that line resonated with me, I could feel the tension in the little shack as the army officers discussed the fate of Moscow! I am very keen to read Anna Karenina soon, as I hear it's all the soapiness of W&P without the tedious history/war parts.

10:12 pm  

Post a Comment