March 21, 2007

What is the B for?

Today I stuck the first marker pin onto the map of my forthcoming European adventure - I booked flights from Frankfurt to Valencia, to arrive just prior to Benicàssim.

I also bought a new sleeping bag. It's green! The space I will save compared to the old one will be used up with another purchase I have yet to make: a self-inflating mattress. Mandatory. Kathmandu Easter sale is tops.

I have been driving a Prius lately, and it's something of a joy after my aging Prelude. However I have a question. To the right of the steering wheel, beside the slot for the 'key', is a 'power' button. That's not my question, I just wanted to mention it because it's so cool. My question relates to the joystick on the left of the steering wheel. The map on top of it which tells you which gear you're aiming for has the standard R for reverse, D for drive and N for neutral. Park is a big button marked P. But in addition, there's a B. WHAT IS THE B FOR? Someone tell me so I don't have to resort to reading the manual (which is obviously one of those things one doesn't do.)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger jb said...

Hybridcars.com says...

There are not a lot of gear selections to consider. (Think of your foot as the main control for maximizing mileage.) The one exception is the B gear.

The B gear should be used only if you are going down a long hill. The B gear lets the engine slow down the car without overusing your brakes and over-charging the batteries.

Which would probably be driving down into Warkworth from the south

2:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that makes a lot of sense, but what word does the B stand for?

9:18 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

"battery"??

9:31 pm  
Blogger jb said...

Quote from http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_driving_tricks

In the course of normal driving, the driver NEVER needs to use 'B' mode (engine Brake mode)

10:00 am  
Blogger ANNA said...

'brmmm'?

10:01 am  

Post a Comment