April 23, 2007

Christchurch

I knew it would happen sooner or later and now I see my chance - the Decemberists play in London on 2 October. I am so very excited about seeing this band live.



I'm almost finished Hemingway's 'A Moveable Feast'. It was good to read while I was touring last week, easy to pick up and get lost in as we drove from city to city. I'm new to Hemingway, and I am enjoying his writing style. I particularly enjoy this line from the chapter titled Agent of Evil:
Monsieur Dunning est monté sur le toit et refuse catégoriquement de descendre.
Also of note is the chapter called Evan Shipman at the Lilas, where there is a discussion on Russian novelists. I've only read a handful, but I liked them very much. (I just bought a two-volume edition of 'Anna Karenina'! W&P without the war! Can't wait.)

Anyone in Auckland know a good second-hand bookstore? Central is best.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

woo hoo! i'm so very jealous of you and your musical adventures! the decemberists! lucky devil.

so fantastic to see you last week - i'll be in touch about possibly coming to aucks to see you before you go.

love marilyn x x

9:26 pm  
Blogger jb said...

There's a good one on the main drag in Devonport. Almost central.

7:19 am  
Blogger Katy said...

I'm so ignorant - despite 3 separate attempts to learn French. I plugged immediately into Babelfish and got "Mr Dunning is assembled on the roof and categorically refuses to go down". Which reminds me of Ikea and flat-pack furniture, but also that I need to categorically refuse to do, more. I've slipped up on that lately.
Love K

8:24 am  
Blogger Barry said...

That bookshop on the main drag in Devonport has a sister shop in K Road, in the old Rendells Building and has its mother lode in Onehunga - the Hard To Find bookshop.

But trademe can be amazing for books if you have specific titles in mind.

2:11 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

I dragged myself out of my pit this afternoon and went along to the Hard to Find bookstore on Ponsonby Rd. They didn't have the title I'm after (John Mulgan's 'Man Alone') but I did find a lovely hardcover illustrated edition of Katherine Mansfield stories, along with a lot of other titles I would love to take home, but I'm supposed to be downsizing!

6:16 am  
Blogger Barry said...

Man Alone is going to be pricey, I suspect. If you are serious about having your own copy, use somewhere like abebooks.com and you'll get one.

1:52 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Yeah - Arty Bees have offered me a hardcover copy for $28. But it's just going to get lost or dropped in a cowshed or something so I'll hold out for a cheap paperback or not at all.

11:04 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Update: during my magical day in Wellington last Friday 4th May (which I am intending to write about any day now), I ducked into Ferret Bookshop on Cuba Mall and found a copy within seconds. Good paperback, the one with the Colin McCahon cover, for just $10. And then Hard to Find on Ponsonby Rd contacted me with another copy, this time just $8! So I get to keep one and disseminate the other. Perfect.

3:42 am  

Post a Comment