June 11, 2007

We leave familiar shores

It is hot in Singapore. Currently 28 degrees with 84% humidity. That made the 500m walk from the train station to the hostel pretty uncomfortable, and I think Ange (my fellow snail) would agree that backpacks suck and should have wheels as standard issue. That said, the public transport here is awesome.

Today I woke up in Piha. And now I'm in Singapore.

The weekend was lovely. I was so pleased to leave Auckland behind. I have realised that while I definitely enjoyed my time there, I don't feel any attachment to the place, not like I do to other parts of New Zealand. Out of 22 weekends this year, I've been out of Auckland for 13. And that's just fine.

The humidity and the look of the buildings on our street reminds me of Fiji. Just along the road is a Hindu temple, the front crowded with brightly coloured deities, while nearby skinny cats wash themselves on the tiled pavement. I look forward to seeing it in daylight.

Not much else has happened. I tried to watch a movie on the plane, it took about six hours to get through - Pan's Labyrinth. There was too much violence for me, although I appreciated the Spanish Civil War which I just read about in 'For Whom The Bell Tolls'. We helped the lady sitting next to us with a crossword, and giggled about getting our names called repeatedly over the terminal intercom as we ran to the gate in Auckland.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger ANNA said...

Good on ya Jess! And well done for managing to post a blog so soon. Best of luck!!!

x

2:55 am  
Blogger Tomatohead said...

Ooh, hope you get roti and cold lager and rambutan!
Happy adventures and thanks for posting!

3:35 am  
Blogger Barry said...

Ah, so you're on your way. Cool - have a blast. I really liked Singapore, am anxious to get back there for a few months next year.

8:24 am  

Post a Comment