January 12, 2005

Kai Iwi Beach

Today I visited Kai Iwi beach (also known as Mowhanau), a lovely settlement fifteen minutes’ drive up the coast from Wanganui. My family used to go camping here when I was very small, and my friends and I had the occasional holiday in a caravan when I was at high school.

In fact I have a lot of happy memories of good times at Kai Iwi. The best part about today is that I went swimming – wait for it – topless! Oh, the excitement! It was fairly spontaneous but I did make sure there wasn’t anyone nearby. And I wasn’t quite the graceful mermaid you’re all imagining – I’d only walked a few feet into the water when the sand turned to clay and I promptly slid into a hole and wasted my toe. The slip factor meant I wasn’t going to get very far on two feet so I opted for the crouch-in-the-path-of-incoming-waves method of ‘swimming’ (better known as ‘getting wet’). That was pretty nice so I graduated to lying-on-my-back-and-wallowing. After a bit I clambered up and rather gigglingly ran up the beach to where I’d left my towel. What a buzz!

7 Comments:

Blogger Cece Martinez said...

SCANDALOUS! OMIGOSH!

9:37 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Haha. Hey SG, sorry your comment got lost. I was still editing...

10:35 pm  
Blogger limegreen said...

Haha. Nothing beat skinny-dipping (or topless dipping in your case). Although I remember one day having gone through from taihape toward napier and going for a swim in the river and floating downstream on my back down some rapids and round a corner....
Needless to say, if I'd known there was a bridge round the corner....

3:04 am  
Blogger The Saturnyne said...

yeah, i like to go topless when swimming... i say give them paparazzis the gratuitous nipple shot early on, and then they'll bugger off and annoy someone else...

Strangely enough, i haven't seen myself in the newspapers, despite my best efforts to be accomodating. Ye'd think they'd be grateful, wouldn't you?

Oh wait a minute, i was in the papers once. but they couldn't prove anything, and besides, them Santaclauses probably deserved it.

S.x

9:11 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Ah! Welcome back! Those news articles in your last post were pretty disturbing. I have to confess I tend to bury my head in the sand - so easy to do from NZ - until something awful happens here I guess. I suppose I ought to have written this there... not here.

Anyway, you all need to work on guessing some more song lyrics! Get thee to my previous post!

10:20 pm  
Blogger lynda brendish said...

sounds like an amazing day.. i'm jealous. My day consisted of shivering my arse off in seriously sub-zero temps.. bleargh.

11:41 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Northern hemisphere, huh?

8:11 pm  

Post a Comment