January 12, 2005

Thinking Caps On, Please

Here’s the deal:
  • Put your media player on random
  • Post your favourite lyrics from the first twenty songs
  • Y’all gotta guess what song the lines come from
  • I'll cross out the songs when someone guesses correctly
I’ve cut it to ten songs because I can and they weren’t the first ones that came up because lots had no words. Anyway. Go to it! And no googling!
  1. Out of my face in the place with a name like that place. On the front page tomorrow my face, headline reading mystery death in new place. Coldcut: 'Noah's Toilet'
  2. If you said it let’s go. If you said ‘I’m sick of this place,’ I would listen to you, I wouldn’t hesitate. And whether it’s for a town - a godforsaken place - it wouldn’t bother me, I’d be ready just as if I was waiting. Calexico: 'Si Tu Disais'
  3. Wish I could pretend but you’ll fire one off at me again. Reinventing me. Don’t it seem like you’re a little twee? In your room - he was willing - got to assume - fell too hard - pain is chilling - caught off guard - now should I fall apart? Dinosaur Jr: 'Grab It'
  4. And if I learn to sleep I will learn to tell time, and when I tell time I sleep all the while. When I sleep, I might hope to survive the losing of you, in the midst of the wild life. the Phoenix Foundation: 'Wildlife'
  5. It may not be true to say that you'll return one day but in your present state you may as well not be here at all. You wear a thin disguise - it's from yourself you hide. Just take a look at us - we are heading for a fall. Handsome Boy Modeling School: 'The Truth'
  6. Makes my mind kind of cloudy – should I give it away? Should I give it away? But it’s been so good – so good to me. Yeah it’s been so kind – that’s what I like. Fly My Pretties: 'Let's Roll'
  7. A garden is its own perfect world, where everything has a place. Every leaf, every stone, every speck of dirt – but where’s my place? Faith No More: 'Helpless'
  8. I can see but I cannot see. I listen but I cannot hear a thing. Focus you can move the table - why'd you want to move the table? Cassette: 'Nothing To Do'
  9. But this feeling’s getting numb. I’m sitting on my bum listening to your stink song. I’m moving along - what is gone is gone is gone. The Shrugs: 'Ambivalence at the Bottom of the Cliff'
  10. But what I miss now is my ignorance of all those things that I saw down there. SJD: 'Down a Hole'
[via Cotard]

3 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

Yup, number 8 is 'Nothing to Do' by Cassette. Nice one Jo! To help you out, numbers 4, 6, 8, 9, and 10 are by New Zealand artists. The rest are American artists. Wow, I never thought of it like that before...

10:58 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Straitjacket Fits will always be great. Have you heard any Dimmer? - Shayne Carter's new band. It's great stuff!

8:35 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Yay! Thanks Stacey... number 4 is 'Wildlife' by the Phoenix Foundation - I totally thought I was giving it away by including it in the lyric! And yes, 'Let's Roll' is correct.

3:02 am  

Post a Comment