March 02, 2005

Resonate 05

Resonate 05 - 'The Great Music Scrum' - Conor McNicholas (NME editor), Polly Birkbeck (V2 publicist), Stephen Jones (Universal Publishing), Rachel Hendry (The Darling Dept - independent publicist). Chaired by Gemma Gracewood.

Schmooze-fest. Who am I kidding - what more did I expect?! The great thing about it was that for once having no agenda, I was able to relax a bit and enjoy myself catching up with friends, rather than giving little speeches encapsulating who, what, where, when, how and why. I learned two things:
  • "The Scene That Celebrates Itself" -- a small, loose, conglomerate of like-minded bands who can be seen at each other's shows, frequently hanging out together within the same circle. [definition via]
  • Of Universal Publishing's 800,000-strong catalogue, Elton John's 'Your Song' is the highest earner.
I also want to use the acronym 'MOR' (and maybe 'AC') more often, as in, "dude, the feelers are so MOR." Heh. It was a good afternoon/evening, my only complaints being that there needed to be better lighting on the panel, they needed to not all speak at once when relating gossipy industry anecdotes, and there was a whistly loud breather sitting behind me. I fear that last part was karmic retribution for upsetting the seating plan after the break.

The showcase gig at Sandwiches afterwards was quite a treat. Mon Ami were first. I didn’t see much of them but they sounded nice. Then it was the Phoenix Foundation. They played about five songs which was cool although I could have done with more. Rhian Sheehan was next, with Module, and also Jess Chambers for ‘Sunshine’. Nice.

EDIT: I've been talking to Ace about it, and as Blink points out here, the lineup was a little short-sighted considering the target audience was the guests listed above - all part of the UK indie rock scene. Ah, wasted opportunity! Nato, I've been feeling bad all week for not helping you sort out a gig. I think Blink's suggested lineup would have been a lot more relevant.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

Erm I missed that part. Maybe he said, "...the highest earner was 'Your Song', or as we call it, 'Who wants to be a millionaire?'"

9:40 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

If you're interested in the seminar, Natalie Biz has gone into a little more detail over here.

11:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh i have so much i am too scared to say about resonate. i left so disheartened - and pissed off with the locals. i love music. it's a big part of my life and i write about it as a full time job. but it's not brain surgery, no one are saving lives, it's entertainment. people take themselves so seriously in this industry and some of the comments made were embarassing and often unfounded and as for the panel, the only one worth listening to was Conor, the others ranted about their signings with not much info to help us on this side of the world. Ugh i'm gonna get lashed for this but i'm really frustrated and i'm not the only one from talking to a few others.

8:42 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Thanks for that. It's good to hear what other people think about it. I agree that there wasn't a lot of value to most of what was said on Wednesday. I must admit I was mostly pleased to not be at work and to have the chance to catch up with a few people. I didn't exactly learn much about the way the UK industry works - apart from that it's somewhat different to here, and it would seem that (by necessity?) NZers have a more all-encompassing grass-roots approach to getting the job done.

However I'm pleased that there was a Resonate event held in Wellington - a first. It was good for the locals to get the chance to schmooze the guests.

9:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah i agree with the grass roots thing... seems like people here do the work of 10 people over there. The one thing that surprised me was that the scene over there isn't as big as i thought it was. I met up with a guy from over there who i know who takes kiwi bands over to play and i told him i was disillusioned when i came out and he said 'good. i'm glad. i hope more people were because there seems to be that people think of the uk scene as the pot of gold but it's not'

9:45 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Scribbles, I'm assuming you've seen this discussion. There are some interesting points raised.

2:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah cheers... I don't understand the how LOOP artists were relevant to the speakers either... but good for Kiwi music nonetheless...

3:38 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

After Wednesday in Wellington, Resonate moved up to Auckland. Robyn went to four of the discussion panels, and summarised them here most comprehensively. Nice one!

8:05 pm  

Post a Comment