February 11, 2005

Aurally

There are three cds I would like to mention. First, the Kora ep – ‘Volume’. It is my new favourite, and it kills me that it’s only four tracks long. 18.9 minutes of fresh skankin’ goodness. My favourite is ‘Crazy Things’ which I think is the track where they freaked out at Raglan – in a good way. ‘See Me’ is also very cool, and so is ‘Burning’, and you’ll all know ‘Politician’ (don’t you?) and that’s it and it’s great!

The second is from 1998: Neutral Milk Hotel – ‘In The Aeroplane over the Sea’. This one took a little while to grow on me but now I love it. My favourite song is ‘Two Headed Boy’ - part two, and who could go past ‘King of Carrot Flowers’ – parts 1, 2 and 3? A case of better late than never! Along the same lines as Grandaddy, Death Cab for Cutie, the Decemberists… nice. Props to Marilyn!

The third is ‘Pipeline Under The Ocean’ by Pluto. I gave in to the hype. I still need to form an opinion on this one.

I’ve also been listening to the Decemberists, Bonnie Prince Billy, the Mint Chicks, Jimi Hendrix. Yesterday I found that the Flaming Lips brought on a feeling of dissatisfaction; after a few anxiety-ridden hours it was successfully warded off with caramels, a surprise chocolate lamington and ‘Little Atoms’ by the Black Seeds. Funny, even though I know the name of the song, I still think Barnaby's singing ‘Little Ella’s in my room… making up a mess of the digital’. It’s actually ‘Little atoms in my room… making up a mass of the physical.’

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought Pipe Line Under The Ocean yesterday. It's great but it sucks that it will only play on my PC with that godawful built-in player.. because it makes it sound really tinny, like a shitty quality MP3 or something. Sigh. Perfectly Evil is one of the greatest songs... ever... EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... Welp, good day to you.

Lisa (ratpony)

7:30 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Really? It plays fine on iTunes... I think. Seemed to go on okay, but then so did the Black Seeds' On The Sun and that somehow got screwed up so the tracks are kind of mixed together weirdly.

7:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the props, jessie. trust me, neutral milk hotel will just keep getting better the more you listen to it... it kills me that marcos introduced them to me a week AFTER they played their last show in minneapolis. grr! someday soon we'll have to arrange a big music swap - i've got more for you to listen to, thats for sure! and i'm sure you have heaps you'd like to introduce me to.

xomarilyn

10:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For sure! :)

9:58 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I didn't end up going to the gig on Saturday - well, I got there, but it was about three hours too late. I heard she was good though.... (not much help for you is it Barry!)

9:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey jessie
i have heaps of stuff from the elephant six collective - willing to let you borrow it all. :)

xomarilyn

12:05 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

You're on!! :)

6:37 pm  

Post a Comment