May 21, 2006

For no particular reason.

I wanted to write a post about the excellent single from the Secret Machines' latest album, Ten Silver Drops. I wanted to try and say that it was a cautionary tale, and tie that in with the track of the same name by the Decemberists, from the superb Castaways and Cutouts album. But now that I attempt it, it doesn't tie in particularly well at all, and when it comes down to it I just wanted to say that 'Alone, Jealous and Stoned' is a great track much as it's not something I want to be.

Now that's out of the way. It was a good weekend, in spite of the persistent threat of electrical storms in my head. Friday night in particular was quite lovely with the Phoenix Foundation performing at the King's Arms preceded by the ever-charming Mysterious Tapeman. Phnx's instrumentals are particular highlight of their set - 'Hitchcock' was sublime and there was a new one, I think, towards the end of the set that totally blew me away. Possibly if I hadn't been standing right beside the smoke machine I may have had a marginally better time but really not much could have topped that.

'Chill-axing' was the main feature of the rest of the weekend, along with the noteworthy purchase of two albums - my new favourite band The Raconteurs' 'Broken Boy Soldiers' and Samuel Flynn Scott's 'The Hunt Brings Us Life'. The latter has gone into the post, and a replacement is on the way, in the meantime the Raconteurs are straight to high-rotate. Am loving it.

This evening I had dinner with friends at their house in Ellerslie - a very pleasant evening. On the way home I got totally lost and ended up in Panmure. Luckily I had a V8 engine at my command and some tasty Jack White backing vox keeping me company. I've got to face the truth. It's entirely unrealistic to imagine I can stick around for another eighteen months, as is the current plan. I just don't think I can suppress my desire to move for that long. And on that note, it's coming up two years since I've had tenancy of this place, this yard o' mine. I suspect the lease is up shortly.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No! Jessie don't stop blogging. I like this vicarious being part of your world.

(It's Katy - I can't remember my bloody password or username or something)

2:18 pm  
Blogger Paul Capewell said...

I love the Raconteurs' record too. Are they called Saboteurs there, or was that just Aus?

Paul

4:09 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Just Australia.

10:54 pm  

Post a Comment