August 29, 2006

Summer's coming

I'm looking into joining a gym. Jogging in the mornings is all well and good, but I seem to have passed my peak. I don't know how it happened, but for some reason I don't run as far as I used to, and I get more tired. Something is wrong with this picture.

With the intention of making exercise more interesting and therefore more effective, I'm researching gyms - facilities on offer, opening hours, class timetables and most importantly, membership fees. They seem to cost a lot more up here than the only gym I've ever belonged to, which was Contours in Wellington. I paid a lump sum for twelve months, so it worked out pretty cheaply per week. The downside of that was when I moved up here, six months into the term, it was sufficiently tied up so that I was unable to transfer the membership. With the nearest Auckland branch a fifteen minute drive away, I stopped going. And started jogging.

So far I've been to Health & Sports in Newton. It seems okay, but pricey. I'm intending to check out Club Physical, maybe the YMCA, Curves and possibly that one on Ponsonby Rd at the top of Franklin Rd.

What I want is good cardio equipment, a range of classes in the evenings, open all weekend, less than $20 per week, ideally no more than 12-month term, and transferable membership. Oh - and close to Grey Lynn. Is that too much to ask?!

Any suggestions gratefully received. Is there somewhere other than trademe that one can find gym memberships for sale?

3 Comments:

Blogger The Saturnyne said...

Ahh... Summer for you. Winter for me.

But in my heart, i still feel summer. And passion!

S.x

4:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coincidence - I've just decided to join a gym too. Our local one is about 5 minutes from the house. And I'm lardy and bulbous. So I'm going to get cracking. Soon. Really really soon.

Do "Club Physical" and "Curves" sound like dodgy nightclubs or even BROTHELS to anyone besides me? Our local gym is called "Kelmscott Leisure Centre". Now that's a sober, serious name for a gym.

Katy (still can't remember my blog password)

6:29 pm  
Blogger ANNA said...

Winter should not be necessarily passion-less!

My gym is 'CityFitness', a sensible name if ever I heard one. Gotta agree with Katy about the dodgy-sounding names of gyms you've found in Aucks. I pay $17.50 pw, which works out very cost-effective as I try to go about 5 times a week.

Good Luck with your search Jess.

7:38 am  

Post a Comment