August 20, 2010

3 years + music

20 August is my 3 year anniversary here in London so permit me just a moment of reflection. I arrived without much of a clue what on earth I wanted from this place, and not entirely sure I wanted to be here at all. Fresh out of New Zealand, a Mediterranean summer like no other can do that to a person.

Today I find myself somewhere I never expected to be; chasing a big wave, sometimes riding it and sometimes my head seems only just above the water level. But there's always good sounds to be discovered. I'm listening to Van Morrison's Astral Weeks for the fifth time this week.. a world of music for the finding, and I love that an album from 1968 can scoop me up just like I can be carried away by the latest from The Arcade Fire.

Here's some great free music I've come across this week, coincidentally both from Iceland. The first is from Amiina:









And the second is from For A Minor Reflection:










You might remember, I'm a fan of lists and particularly the lists generated by last.fm. The contents and layout of this list struck a chord with me when I spotted it a day or two ago in that it almost alternates between 'old' and 'new' - my top artists from the last 7 days. I've been listening to BBC 6 Music a lot lately, but when I'm not..

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Bart said...

Pop quiz:
Can you find another relation between Amiina and For a minor reflection?
Except that they're from Iceland?

8:55 am  

Post a Comment