March 03, 2005

Quality/quantity

There has been panic of late regarding the shortness of time between my 8:30pm arrival in Auckland and my subsequent 6:30am departure to Melbourne prior to Easter. WTF was I thinking to book a 6:30am flight? Surely I don't actually need to check in a whole 2 hours early; I mean Australia is practically a domestic destination. Some people still think there's a bridge connecting our nations. [In fact word is that some Australians even think there's a bridge over Cook Strait, if they wanted to think about it for that long.]

I discovered it will cost at least $100 to change my ticket, and doubtless several tedious phone calls, so I've rationalised that circa 6.5 hours is a hell of a lot better than no hours. I suppose it's the having to rouse myself by 3:30-4am part that sucks. Pending a few cashflow issues, maybe I'll revise that decision and attempt to switch to the 8:30am flight.

Now. I heard yesterday that Holly Golightly is in fact playing a Wellington show (Bodega, Thursday 10th, with Lady Luck and the Accelerants). This is pretty cool news. It's looking like being a good few gigs ahead, what with the Black Seeds @ Indigo on Friday (is anyone I know going?), the Dukes @ Bodega (thought I'd check 'em out) and the Fanatics/Paselode @ Indigo (who could resist?) on Saturday, and the sweet sweet icing that is Lambchop, David Kilgour and Ghostplane @ Indigo on Sunday.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger harvestbird said...

I finally saw Holly Golightly on C4 the other night (where she was captioned as Hooly Golightly), having heard her only on the end of Elephant before. I was much impressed.

1:35 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, great news about Holly. I heard a bit of her stuff after I discovered her on the end of Elephant too. She's in a class of her own. I'll have to go to that gig - thanks!

If only there were a bridge over the Tasman, mind you it'd be a bloody long drive.

1:50 am  
Blogger Barry said...

Yum - Lambchop. I have my super duper $20 Avis rental all primed to get me to Picton, and my flight back to chc all sorted, so I'm so going to be there. With the strife of the week I've just had, I need this little break. Might even check out the mighty Paselode and all but, alas, will miss the Blackseeds and Holly.

8:09 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Cool - so Emily's going to Holly Golightly, and Barry's going to Lambchop! Whether I make it to either depends on how my blagging skills go... or maybe I'll .. um ... sell something .. or something.

That's a cheap rental, Barry.

Nelson, yeah the Handsome Family were here a while back but it was just before my last visit to Auckland and Soundsplash, so I didn't go.

8:46 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

If you do wind up going to the Paselode/Fanatics/Avotor gig Barry, look out for me... I'll be the most barfly of them all. Probably. Hang on, you already know what I look like - so you'll have no excuse :)

7:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you going to get to someplace like the Corner Hotel for a show? Hope so.

Bodega Fraser sent out a mass mailing about a month ago re: the Holly Golightly booking. I guess he was excited.

8:53 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Where is the Corner Hotel?

Fraser'd do well to put some posters up about the show then!! I heard about it from a friend.

8:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bugger checking out any bands while you're in Melbourne (Killing Heidi anyone???). Most of the good venues have been torn down anyway (BRING BACK THE PUNTERS CLUB!!!) and the carpets at the Espy will give you a nasty disease.

Concentrate on the food. In particular check out the canoli at any of the cake shops on Acland St or Lygon St and get up to the Richmond Hill Cafe and Larder on Bridge Rd for their amazing selection of cheese.

If music is the food of love then food must be for the love of music. That's my excuse for being such a tubby lard bucket anyway.

9:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Corner is in Richmond. www.cornerhotel.com/

Yeah, I would be a fatter bastard than I already am if I lived in Melbourne. I would be the pie and souv queen of the s. hemisphere.

11:52 pm  
Blogger Barry said...

The Corner is, or at least was, an important music venue in Melbourne. It would be sad if the musical scene has died over the past couple of years - every time I've been there I have found unexpectedly interesting things to do, as often as not by just going to the Espy, lured by the fact they have the cheapest Guiness I have been able to find. melbourne.citysearch.com.au or the jjj website have a few clues as to what to see, plus there are freebie mags.

I'll look out for you tomorrow night - at the moment I'm arriving in Welly at a ridulously early time in the morning, so I'll have no excuse not to go to Indigo and there doesn't seem to be much else on.

11:54 pm  
Blogger Jessie said...

Thanks for the warning Morphess!

On reflection I think I'm going to have to miss Holly. I must save coin for The Holiday.

3:25 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Plus I'm a little bitter about buying a ticket to Lambchop only to find out the next day that I was on the doorlist.

3:26 am  
Blogger Jessie said...

Okay, one more thing: Nelson: leather pants?! Jpgs, plz ;)

8:25 pm  

Post a Comment